Imagine this – the holidays have arrived and you’re out and about doing some shopping. You have one last gift to purchase and you have a choice between two stores that are selling the item for the same price. One store has no holiday decorations. The other store is adorned with commercial Christmas lights and you can hear holiday music emanating from inside the retail outlet.
Which store will you visit to get that final gift on your list? Research indicates that you, like many other consumers, will head into the store that’s decorated with Christmas lights and other decorations.
The Benefits of Holiday Lighting and Decorations
While drawing shoppers into your location is certainly a benefit of putting up holiday lighting and other festive decorations, decorating for the holidays often provides some additional benefits. Here are a few of them:
- Decorations make people feel at home
- Christmas lights and decorations instill a sense of positivity in consumers and employees
- Holiday decorations make people happier
The biggest benefit that holiday decorations have the potential to yield is increased sales. With some businesses earning as much as 20 – 40 percent of their annual sales in November and December alone, holiday decorations can help some organizations achieve their yearly sales goals. That’s because holiday lights and decorations encourage people to make purchases.
In a test conducted several years ago, Golden Corral hired professional decorators to hang lights on the roofs and trees leading to six of its restaurants. The restaurant chain had the lights installed by a professional Christmas light decoration company the week before Thanksgiving and left them up through the end of the year.
What was the result of Golden Corral’s experiment? The decorated restaurants recorded a five percent increase in sales and a four percent increase in the number of meals they sold. Golden Corral also discovered that restaurants that were decorated with multi-colored lights outperformed the eateries that were adorned with white lights exclusively.
Tips to Increase Sales
If you want to increase your sales during the holiday season, you have to decorate in a manner that makes your location look festive and inviting. Here are some things you can do:
- Hang Christmas Lights: Christmas lights add color and energy, and they can make your location stand out from your competitors.
- Limit Your Colors: Be sure to choose colors that are in keeping with the holidays, such as red and green. While you might be tempted to add a veritable rainbow of colors to your display, it’s advisable to limit your use of colors to two or three.
- Use Props: Depending on the floor space you have available, you may want to put up a Christmas tree or another sizeable decoration. If you have limited space, you might simply want to have you employees wear Santa hats or holiday-themed vests.
- Play Music: Rather than playing the same music as every other retailer, seek out unique variations of holiday tunes and play them softly in your store.
- Use Scent: Have you ever walked into a person’s home and started salivating when you got a whiff of freshly baked cookies? If so, you know how influential your sense of smell is. Take advantage of this by using some potpourri or scented oils to make your location smell like the holidays.
Contact Our Christmas Light Company
If you want holiday lighting that will have the maximum impact on your customers and passers-by, you should look through the gallery of the work our Christmas light company has done. When you do, you’ll see that we have the ability to create eye-catching holiday lighting displays for businesses in all industries. To learn more about our holiday lighting services and how we can help your business stand out during the holiday season, contact Christmas Creations today.